J.D. in Law
M.S. in Chemical Engineering
B.S. in Biology/Chemistry
● Registered Patent Attorney specializing in patent, trademark, trade secrets, copyright law, and unfair competition matters serving clients throughout the United States and in foreign countries.
● Served as In-house Intellectual Property Counsel reporting to General Counsel for The Valvoline Company in patent, trademark and licensing matters for over 17 years.
● Providing litigation services and serving as co-counsel for general practice trial attorneys in litigation concerning intellectual property matters.
David Carrithers is a Registered Patent Attorney licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Prior to the practice law, David worked for several years in the field of industrial chemical engineering. His industrial career includes experience as a Process Development Engineer providing technical service to customers and technical support of manufacturing operations in the formulation, extrusion, and processing operation for the PVC, ABS, and CPIC plastics compounding operations of B.F. Goodrich; Production and Research & Development Engineer for Joseph E. Seagram & Sons specializing in new product and process development of alcohol and distillery by-products, and beverages in the wine, beer, spirits, nonalcoholic beverage industry via fermentation, distillation, freeze concentration, separation, filtration and ultra filtration, selective distillation and separation and flavor preservation processes for heat sensitive products, and biochemical processes for the food and beverage industry; and Research and Development Engineer Rhone-Poulenc/Hi-Ten Polymers Group in water soluble polymer applications to the textile industry, paper industry, oil field fracture fluids ad specialty chemical applications. Prior to establishment of Carrithers Law Office, David worked for several years helping to develop the intellectual property practice at Middletown and Reutlinger. David started his law career at O'Donnell, Stutermann & Winger a law firm specializing in intellectual property.
Conducted due diligence investigation and provided intellectual property support for Ashland Oil's acquisition and merger of BASF Corporation's antifreeze division and license of BASF AG's antifreeze products in North America.
Conducted due diligence investigation and provided intellectual property support for Ashland Inc.'s Valvoline's Division in its acquisition and merger of Eagle One's car care products.
Represented plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving misappropriation of trade secrets, patent, trademark, and copyright infringement and unfair competition.
Represented clients in technology cases involving website design, development and copyright issues.
Filed and prosecuted several hundred patents and trademarks and represented petitioners and respondents in opposition and cancellation proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office and through the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Serves as Corporate Intellectual Property Counsel for Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Inc.
Represented and achieved successful outcomes for the following Clients in Trademark and/or Patent Litigation before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky; and/or in Trademark Oppositions before United States Patent and Trademark Office:
Bourbon Country, Inc
Caudill Seed & Warehouse Co., Inc.
Credit One Financial, Inc.
Evergreen Environmental Group, Inc.
Inclan Enterprises, Inc.
Sports Saddle, Inc.
The Valvoline Company
Kentucky does not certify specialties in legal fields.
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- Georgetown College, Georgetown, Kentucky
- Major: Biology/Chemistry
- Kentucky, 1989
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1990
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1990
- Intellectual Property Law
- Science & Technology Law
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Society of Plastic Engineers
- Institute of Food Technologists
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Patent and Trademark Office Society, Member
- American Chemical Society
- "Trade Secrets and Remedies", Northern Kentucky University, 1988
- "Beverage Alcohol Production", Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Inc., 1985
- "Mixed Culture Fermentations of Cellulose to Ethanol", University of Virginia
- University of Virginia Sigma Xi Research Honorary
- Who's Who in American Law Schools
- Commerce Award
- Journalism Award
- Rotary Award